Environmental destruction, celebration, and ostriches
I have submitted the following letter to the editor of the Cambridge Chronicle. Previous blog posts provide details.
The 6/9/11 letter “defending” Alewife has interesting timing.
Alewife communications have fought for borderline issues. The letters direct attention away from destruction of the core Alewife reservation, far more important because of the quality of the property being destroyed and because the fight should have been easy.
But the “activists”’ friends are destroying the core Alewife reservation. These pols claim environmental sainthood and should be easy to talk to. Alewife’s destruction is for flood storage that should be put under a parking lot perhaps 200 feet to the south. It is unnecessary.
I saw the writer at the start of the destruction of the core Alewife reservation. It says everything that she is, once again, writing but ignoring the most important part of the reservation.
Associated “activists”, on 6/11/11 were conducting parties “celebrating” Magazine Beach.
1. Celebrating the dumping of poisons on the banks of the Charles to keep alive introduced sickly grass which was planted after the destruction of native grass which survived the better part of a century without poisons.
2. Celebrating the destruction of playing fields to drain off poisons.
3. Celebrating the bizarre wall of introduced bushes blocking access between Magazine Beach and the Charles. That wall proves claims of “improving swimming” to be lies.
4. Celebrating heartless animal abuse, which is also a major part of the outrage at Alewife.
5. Celebrating the plans to destroy hundreds of excellent trees on Memorial Drive between Magazine Beach and the Longfellow Bridge. This is a pittance compared to the destruction at Alewife. But Memorial Drive has not been destroyed YET.
6. Celebrating the annual poisoning of the eggs of waterfowl.
7. Reaffirming the lie that DCR and Cambridge are worthy of respect by those who love the environment. This is a common problem with Alewife.
8. Celebrating censorship by the “activists” as part of a pattern. They have barred discussion of any and all comments reflecting reality on the Charles, in apposition to the nonsense being put out by the “activists” and by their destructive friends.
But the “activists” do not tell the celebrants what they are celebrating.
If the Alewife “activists” get meaningfully concerned, a major part of Alewife will have been destroyed for no good cause. Some can be saved.
The situation on the Charles is completely reversible. All we need is responsible governments and REAL environmentalists. Con games are not helpful.